11 REASONS CHIA SEED IS A SUPERFOOD
1) Chia seed is high in fibre: Chia is super-high in fibre, providing nearly 11 grams per ounce. One serving can provide the recommended fibre intake for the day.
2) Chia seed helps balance blood sugar levels: High levels of fibre are essential for your body’s ability to balance blood sugar levels. Chia is a natural blood sugar balancer due to its high fibre content and healthy fats.
3) Bowel regularity: Being high in dietary fibre, chia helps promote bowel regularity and healthy stool. The rich fibre content in chia seeds also helps people feel fuller faster because it absorbs a considerable amount of water and immediately expands in the stomach when eaten.
4) Chia seed is a natural appetite suppressant: Clinical studies have proven that chia curbs hunger and suppresses appetite, which can also lead to weight loss.
5) Chia seeds form gels: Also, when consumed, chia seeds create a gelatin-like substance in the stomach. This gel-forming action is due to the soluble fibre in chia seeds, and it can work as a prebiotic supporting the growth of probiotics in the gut.
6) Enhances exercise: A recent study published in the journal of strength and conditioning concluded that consuming chia seeds improved exercise performance for workouts that lasted 90 minutes the same way a sugar-laden sports drink would, but without all the sugar.
In the study, half of the athletes drank 100% Gatorade, while the others consumed half Gatorade and half chia drink. Their running times were matched, and the half-chia group consumed far less sugar.
7) Chia seeds boost metabolism: By adding a serving of chia seeds a day, you can help boost your metabolism and burn belly fat as well! Studies show that the addition of chia seeds to your diet also reduces visceral adipose tissue, a “belly fat” tissue that effects the metabolism of the body and is a component of obesity
8) Great plant-based source of protein: Chia seeds also rank among the top plant-based sources of protein, which is another reason this super seed is great to consume for those trying to put on lean muscle, burn fat, and balance blood sugar levels.
9) Chia seeds keep you hydrated: one of the characteristics that make chia so unique is that it can absorb up to 10x its weight in water. Because of this, chia seeds can prolong hydration and improve nutrient absorption of electrolytes. Chia seeds also slow digestion and keep you feeling fuller longer reducing sugar cravings.
10) Chia seeds are high in zinc: Because chia seeds are also high in zinc, they help your body increase leptin. Leptin is a critical hormone that regulates your bodies appetite, how your body spends energy and regulates how your energy levels! It also improves stamina and endurance, making chia a great source of nutrition if you are looking to get in shape.
11) Chia seed contents: Chia seeds pack a powerful antioxidant punch to help replace some of those nutrients lost when exercising. They’re high in essential minerals like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, zinc, iron and niacin.